Best Books 2002

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Jan 6 16:29:23 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:22:03AM -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 07:39:32 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:
>
> Besides, why wouldn't I read an assigned book?  I always read the assigned
> book.  I know way too many people who seem to think it's some kind of virtue
> *never* to read anything someone *tells* them to read.  Like it's a sign of
> their strongmindedness--never mind that they then go on to say "and that's
> how I managed not to read _Ender's Game_ for ten years and it's totally my
> favorite book!"  DUUUUUUHHHHH.  I hated _Wuthering Heights_, but I hated it
> honestly--by having read it, gagged, and thrown it violently at the wall a
> couple of times.

I think it may depend on why they're being told to read the book.  I
know with movies, I'm very suspicious of hype.  The more aggressively a
movie is promoted, the less likely I am to see it, since it must be
obviously bad if they have to spend so much effort enticing people to
see it.  Or at the least, not that good.  And I also don't like being
told what to do.  I revolt against peer pressure.

So if someone said "Why *everybody's* read Ender's Game!  How could you
not have read Ender's Game?" my likely reply is
"Very easily."

I still haven't read or seen "Wuthering Heights" or "Gone With The
Wind".  Nor have I read any Dickens or Tolstoy.

I love Jane Austen though.  Though I haven't actually read *all* of her
novels.  "Pride and Predjudice" is my favourite.

Kathryn Andersen