Subject: Re: Best Books 2002

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 15:52:39 EST 2003

Hallie said

>  >And finally, (well, finally that I can think
of for now) _Northanger
>>>Abbey_ gets the Most Improved by Studying It
award for this year
>>>(loved it already, though it was never my
favourite Austen, love it
>>>much more now)
>>
>>I loved it because part of me is still
Catherine, to my embarrassment.  I
>>don't know anyone else who likes it, though.

and Melissa (rightly) said
>I only know Ven who *doesn't* like it. ;-)

leading Hallie to say
Ven is biased.  :)  (Poke poke, where are you
Ven?)

Please picture Ven as irascible bear poking her
head up through the snow: I've been doing my best
to hibernate with my head in a book, well several
books. I'm not sure if it's a result or a cause
but my head's a shed and I can't remember
anything I read more than a month ago...........
I've been in Brust's Dragaera, mostly, for the
last few weeks which is enough to disorder
anyone's brains.

Then Hallie said:
>>  and _Middlemarch_... I don't know what award
it gets.
>>But it's definitely a favourite of some kind.
And I'm still planning
>>to inflict a F&H/Middlemarch comparison on the
list some day, as the
>>idea just won't go away, no matter how much I
ignore it.

Oops I've fallen out of Middlemarch twice and
couldn't stick with the telly version. What's
more where I dislike Austen I'm positively
vitriolic about Eliot in relation to Mill on the
Floss (an A level text)........

I hope to write some longer replies later about
my last month's reading. However someobody lent
me night watch today and I still have to finish
reading Issola for ther umpteenth time (3 in the
last 6 weeks or so........).

=====
Ven