Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Wed Jan 1 15:20:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:26:41 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>Incidentally, I recently discovered, in the bargain videos bin at the
>local supermarket, a new contender for Worst Monte Cristo Adaptation
>Ever.
>
>Yes, even worse than that miniseries someone was complaining about a
>while back, the one in which our hero ended up with [woman it made no
>sense for him to end up with] instead of [woman he ended up with in
>the book].

That is just stupid, isn't it?

>It's a brilliant example of why you can't always trust abridged
>versions, though. Picture this: to fit everything into a two-hour
>running time, the scriptwriter cut out everything not directly
>connected to the revenge plot (and even that was trimmed), so our hero
>goes through his enemies like something very fast indeed and then...
>the film ends, because all the subplots contributing to the book's
>happy ending have been cut, leaving the film with nowhere to go.
>And everyone who's not dead yet lives unhappily ever after,
>it would seem. Aargh.

That's not only the worst adaptation; that sounds horribly depressing in its
own right.  Ick.  (Which reminds me, what was the general opinion on the
most recent theatrical version?  I can't decide if I want to see it because
all the people who are recommending it, despite having good taste generally,
haven't read the book.)

>> ***Most Disappointing Book:  _Teetoncey_ by Theodore Taylor
>>
>> I had a great memory of this book--I practically cut my literary
>> teeth on it.  And it was TERRIBLE.  Ugh.  Plus how the HECK can
>> the girl be called Wendy when the action takes place six years
>> before _Peter Pan_?  Huh?
>
>Ask the US Census people, who were recording the existence of girls
>called Wendy as early as 1828...

Then somebody should tell J.M. Barrie to stop claiming he invented it. :)
(I think _Peter Pan_ is on my list to read again this year, but I want a
good edition with pictures.  I can't remember which one I originally read
because it was many years ago.)

>-snip-
>
>> This is a great list.  You all know that, right?  You are
>> interesting, articulate people with opinions and ideas that are
>> worth listening to.  I am again very grateful to be a part of this
>> community.
>
>Thank you.
>Both for the compliment, and because the greatness of this list is at
>least partly your fault. :)

Thanks.  :)

Melissa Proffitt