Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 1 10:26:41 EST 2003

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> ***Best Recommendation:  _The Count of Monte Cristo_ (unabridged)

-snip-

> Thank you, Paul.

You're very welcome.

Incidentally, I recently discovered, in the bargain videos bin at the
local supermarket, a new contender for Worst Monte Cristo Adaptation
Ever.

Yes, even worse than that miniseries someone was complaining about a
while back, the one in which our hero ended up with [woman it made no
sense for him to end up with] instead of [woman he ended up with in
the book].

It's a brilliant example of why you can't always trust abridged
versions, though. Picture this: to fit everything into a two-hour
running time, the scriptwriter cut out everything not directly
connected to the revenge plot (and even that was trimmed), so our hero
goes through his enemies like something very fast indeed and then...
the film ends, because all the subplots contributing to the book's
happy ending have been cut, leaving the film with nowhere to go.
And everyone who's not dead yet lives unhappily ever after,
it would seem. Aargh.

-snip-

> ***Most Disappointing Book:  _Teetoncey_ by Theodore Taylor
>
> I had a great memory of this book--I practically cut my literary
> teeth on it.  And it was TERRIBLE.  Ugh.  Plus how the HECK can
> the girl be called Wendy when the action takes place six years
> before _Peter Pan_?  Huh?

Ask the US Census people, who were recording the existence of girls
called Wendy as early as 1828...

-snip-

> This is a great list.  You all know that, right?  You are
> interesting, articulate people with opinions and ideas that are
> worth listening to.  I am again very grateful to be a part of this
> community.

Thank you.
Both for the compliment, and because the greatness of this list is at
least partly your fault. :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."