The Merlin Conspiracy interview on Bookseller

Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Fri Feb 28 19:54:52 EST 2003

Margaret Ball danced around singing:
>"Where do you get your ideas?" always tempts me to tell them about the
>Secret Idea Store in Poughkeepsie, accessible only to SFWA members.

There's a horribly entertaining short story by that name by Barry B.
Longyear on that topic in his anthology "It Came From Schnectady" -- has
anyone else read it?  He has a fictional reporter ask him the Dreaded
Question, at which time he horrifies her with a monologue about how
commercials often sound like science fiction stories -- like the old
underwear commercial in which someone shouts "show us your underalls!" and
magically everybody becomes naked...and if that doesn't work, there's a
secret club in which writers can send money to Schnectady and get
bestseller ideas in response.

Sounds lame the way I describe it, but I highly encourage anyone that
enjoys creative writing to read it.  It's quite possibly one of the most
entertaining and memorable pieces I've read in my life.  *grin*

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're a hero.  You *can't* be a coward!"
"Oh, can't I just!"
-- Diana Wynne Jones