Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 28 10:34:27 EST 2003

--- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think it is because people starting calling some
> particular type of fantasy "high fantasy", without
> ever really agreeing on a common definition, where a
> term like "hard science fiction" or "space opera"
> for
> sf both have consensus definitions (even if people
> do
> disagree on exactly which books are encompassed by
> that definition). High Fantasy is more a case of
> whatever I really like is High Fantasy, and lesser
> stuff isn't.

I'm confused, because I don't think there's a "like"
factor implied in High Fantasy.  I think if I were to
use the term, it would be more likely that I was
trying to identify books I'm *less* inclined to read.
But then, in my head "High Fantasy" seems to be
essentially equated with "Epic Fantasy," though
probably not perfectly for every case.  And I kind of
went off Epic Fantasy years ago -- there are
exceptions, but it's not what I gravitate towards
anymore.

--jenwa.