Vande Velde

Thu Feb 27 19:26:26 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:10:37 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>The first was Vivian Vande Velde's _Heir Apparent_, which I liked in a
>comforting way.  It's about a girl's experience in a virtual reality game,
>and at times the message is overly obvious, and the main character a
>little slow, but I enjoyed reading it.

The first book I read by Vande Velde was called _User Unfriendly_ and was
also about virtual reality (sort of).  It left me with a distaste for her
books for years, mainly because I was playing computer games AND roleplaying
games at the time and recognized where she hadn't done her homework.  Too
bad, because she's a decent writer and tells interesting stories.  I later
read _The Changeling Prince_ and enjoyed it much more.

Melissa Proffitt
apropos of not much