_Summerland_ and Society (was Re: Yet Another Enforced Absence)

Thu Feb 27 16:27:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:32:34 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> On the one hand, bags of money; on the other, your
>>personal honor.  I wonder how often the choice goes in favor of the cash.
>
>Probably not as often as the cynical might think. My husband could easily
>have been a professional soccer player (on a national team at junior
>level), but he didn't have the temperament for it. He hates the way people
>focus on winning at the expense of personal honour and playing by the
>rules. He still plays and coaches, but chooses to do it at lower levels
>because parental pressure and focus on winning that happen as soon as kids
>get any good makes him sick.

In our local soccer league, when our girls were playing last year, they had
to issue parental conduct forms and made everyone sign because they had
Incidents.  <sigh>  And that was for 8-year-olds.

What I really hate is that in order to stick to your principles, you usually
have to do what your husband did, rather than stay pro and effect change
there.  It's no wonder professional athletics gets such a bad reputation.

Melissa Proffitt