: [Fwd: Bullying, DWJ, and Harry Potter...], also fat and lit

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 27 15:18:42 EST 2003

>Now I am confused.  That is exactly what I understood it to mean, but I don't
>see it as at all complimentary.  "Brave but inept" is fairly neutral, but
>"charges in without considering the consequences" (how I use it) sounds to me
>quite uncomplimentary - fools rush in, and all that.
>
>Just in case I've misunderstood you, it isn't "bottom" that I consider
>uncomplimentary, but "more bottom than science".

I know, I just think it is often used in the sense of admiration (okay,
condescending admiration, but still) for someone who will rush bravely in
without considering whether or not he is likely to get killed. The courage
may come from ignorance, but to me the context is not uncomplimentary
because of that. If you are speaking from the perspective of the smartarse,
yes, it is an uncomplimentary expression, but it doesn't have to be. It
think lots of people regard "fools rushing in" type expressions as not
necessarily negative, especially, as you suggest, if they are Gryffindor
types at heart (or even Hufflepuffs, for that matter).

Robyn