Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Thu Feb 27 14:28:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:46:39 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>>Perhaps the answer to is to add a third axis to your model, labelled 'Distance from our own world'. I think it would be possible to make a model of this kind from a plastic construction kit, and attach little labels with the names of books at the relevant points in the resulting 3D matrix. If mounted properly it would be an attractive addition to the living room, and one could spend happy evenings arguing with like-minded friends about exactly where to place 'Power of Three', etc.
>>
>>Aaack.  I started thinking of ways to get my dad to build this for me.  He'd
>>think I was insane, but he'd do it.  I have no life....   [:)]
>>
>Oh, do get one made! But not plastic. Little gold wires crisscrossed by
>glittering jewels, don't you think? A Fantasy Orrery.

If my father made it, it would definitely be some high-quality shaped wood
frame with hand-pulled wire and Austrian crystal.  But we would have to wait
three years for it to be completed.  (Have I ever mentioned the time he
built me a fake telescope for a science fair display?  If we hadn't started
at 9 p.m. the night before it was due, it might even have been rigged up
with lights and stuff, and it would have looked like the real thing.  I'm
pretty sure he's where I get those over-achieving compulsive tendencies.)

>>Maybe
>>what's needed is a second 3D matrix specifically for positioning works of
>>high fantasy depending on their accretions of worn-out cliches, or
>>something.
>>
>No, no, we need to bring it all together into a  *multi-dimensional*
>Fantasy Orrery. Of course you can see only three of the dimensions at
>any one time, but different sets of axes could come into view depending
>on how you manipulate it.

Now I think we need a map and a tesseract model.  :)

Melissa Proffitt