Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Thu Feb 27 12:31:06 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:31:13 +0000, <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk>
wrote:

>Perhaps the answer to is to add a third axis to your model, labelled 'Distance from our own world'. I think it would be possible to make a model of this kind from a plastic construction kit, and attach little labels with the names of books at the relevant points in the resulting 3D matrix. If mounted properly it would be an attractive addition to the living room, and one could spend happy evenings arguing with like-minded friends about exactly where to place 'Power of Three', etc.

Aaack.  I started thinking of ways to get my dad to build this for me.  He'd
think I was insane, but he'd do it.  I have no life....  :)

>Personally I think that would be fun. Only trouble is, I've a feeling that there are yet other elements involved in High Fantasy, such as a tendency to adopt a bombastic prose style at moments of high excitement (and to prefer absolute monarchy to any other political system, to revert to that old hobbyhorse), which can't be perfectly correlated to any of the above.

I don't see those as intrinsic to the subgenre, because you can have high
fantasy without reverting to those old cliches.  They're like barnacles
clinging to the hull; scrape them off, and the ship is still there.  Maybe
what's needed is a second 3D matrix specifically for positioning works of
high fantasy depending on their accretions of worn-out cliches, or
something.

I really need to get out more.  I'm going to spend time with the kids now.

Melissa Proffitt