: [Fwd: Bullying, DWJ, and Harry Potter...], also fat and lit

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 15:59:00 EST 2003

> I doubt if bottom is maratime in origin, it strikes me
> as a bit like "pointy end" a term that is only used by
> landlubbers, which a true sailor would never use.

It does sound like that - sailors being so apt to confuse matters wherever
possible by bringing in special vocabulary for perfectly ordinary things
like kitchens, left, right, downstairs, etc. But I can assure you that
'bottom' really is the word for the bottom of a boat. Looks like they missed
a trick there.

Charlie