Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 14:45:21 EST 2003

--- "Ian W. Riddell" <iwriddell at charter.net> wrote:
> So, it's me popping up with another question.
>
> What's the definition of "high fantasy"? What are
> some examples? Is
> there a parallel "low" fantasy?
>
> widdy
> --

I've seen various definitions of what constitutes
"high" fantasy, although only one of "low" fantasy,
although it should logically be the oposite of
whatever you define as "high". In my list of
categories I went the other way and used "low" as a
category, but not "high". The one pair of definitions
I've seen defined "high" fantasy as the fantasy set
entirely in a secondary world, while "low" fantasy was
set in both our own (non-magical) world and a
secondary (magical) one. Narnia would be an example.
Personally I find the "low" definition useful to
categorise a type of story, but not the "high" one.
Sometimes "high" fantasy seems to mean, "the type of
fantasy I, as user of this term, like" or fantasy of
serious intent, or epic (as in over 500 pages in each
of several volumes) fantasy.

Jon