Typographic styles (was Literary pet peeves)

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 11:27:35 EST 2003

Abigail:

> And, going back to the previous topic - Meaningful Italics, too.  Where the
> author has invented a word for, say, a wizard, and then whenever that word
> is used, it appears in italics.  It always makes me imagine that the word is
> being spoken in _hushed tones_.

I hope it's not heresy to suggest it on this list, but the two examples that
spring to mind for me are both from DWJ herself.  Possibly they spring to mind
because I've read the books so often.

The words are _morgery_ and _slodging._

I've never understood why _slodging_ should be italicised, although perhaps the
girls thought of it that way.

_Morgery_ is more understandable - presumably it's a word from the ancient Dorig
language, so perhaps it's considered a foreign word now they speak English.

Philip.  (Who occasionally uses the verb to slodge, but seldom indulges in
slodging except by accident)

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.