gasp. gasp. catching. up.

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 11:10:42 EST 2003

>>|Sorry to have to tell you this but a two-volume OED is
>>|still only a "Shorter OED" (always impresses the kids
>>|at school when I point that out)
>>
>> No, it's the 20 volume set compressed at 4 pages
>> reprinted to a sheet.
>> I can read it without a magnifying glass if I squint
>> -- the new one is
>> in one volume, and is 9 pages to a sheet, and I
>> can't read it without a glass.
>
> My Ghod!! I'll give that one a miss, I can no longer
> read the phone book at night unless directly under a
> very powerful light.

hee hee hee.  I was quite amused reading this discussion, since I have both a
two volume shorter OED _and_ a two volume OED.  (Does anyone else on this list
collect reference books?)

I had been looking for the latter for some time, and my brother and I walked
into a bookshop together, and there was a one-volume OED on the counter.  He
grabbed it and gloated; he then discovered that he didn't have enough money on
him to buy it.

Anyway, I bought it, and we swapped - he got the single volume, I got the two
(which he already had).  He was quite surprised that I preferred the two-volume
one, but the single volume is not actually much smaller, and it is much harder
to read...

(And I got a two-volume OED for L30, half the cheapest I'd seen it thitherto.  I
would have bought it at L60 had that copy not already been promised to another
customer)

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.