: [Fwd: Bullying, DWJ, and Harry Potter...], also fat and lit

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 10:44:45 EST 2003

>>Interesting.  To me (a Georgette Heyer fan) "bottom" means something like
>>courage (rashness?) or staying power.  Heyer's characters tend to use it
>>as (or as a metaphor from) a boxing term - willingness to go in and slog
>>it out?  Perhaps it entered boxing from the maritime use.
>>
>>I sometimes borrow a phrase from Heyer and say that people have "more bottom
>>than science".  I don't generally mean it as a compliment!
>
> Heyer did, or rather the historical context would suggest it was reasonably
> complimentary. It science in that context means technical skill, so
> basically it means the person is brave but inept, or charges in without
> considering the consequences.

Now I am confused.  That is exactly what I understood it to mean, but I don't
see it as at all complimentary.  "Brave but inept" is fairly neutral, but
"charges in without considering the consequences" (how I use it) sounds to me
quite uncomplimentary - fools rush in, and all that.

Just in case I've misunderstood you, it isn't "bottom" that I consider
uncomplimentary, but "more bottom than science".

Perhaps I feel this way because I'm more a Ravenclaw than a Griffindor...

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.