man meets all these figures out of literature

Tue Feb 25 23:24:54 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:38:19 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>> >Melissa, are you perhaps thinking of "Silverlock"?

>> That's the book.  The last name is doubled...John
>> Myers Myers or something
>> like that.  I guess it bored me so much that I
>> immediately forgot everything
>> but the premise.  :)
>>
>It's great to see I'm not the only one who was bored
>with this book, which is often listed as one of the
>Great Works of Fantasy. It had its moments as I know I
>enjoyed bits of it, but it wasn't memorable enough for
>me to remember which bits, or to realise that that was
>the book to which you were refering.

I didn't finish it, so I shouldn't make too many comments--maybe it got
better further in--but I can't see why it should be a Great Work of Fantasy
just because the author managed to fit in all sorts of literary references
in a sensible way.  It makes a good parlor game, I suppose.  For me, this
was the one where all the references were blindingly obvious--not so Pamela
Dean.

>There is a sequel
>btw, "The moon's fireating daughter" which I was
>unable to finish (although its not a bad title).

Nice title.  I'd never heard of the sequel.  Now I know what to avoid.  :)

Melissa Proffitt