man meets all these figures out of literature

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 22:38:19 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:42:32 EST, Devra at aol.com
> wrote:
>
> >Melissa, are you perhaps thinking of "Silverlock"?
> (I quite forget the
> >author's name--John something....) Reading this
> book is much more challenging
> >than Pamela Dean, 'cause I can get many of her
> references!
>
> That's the book.  The last name is doubled...John
> Myers Myers or something
> like that.  I guess it bored me so much that I
> immediately forgot everything
> but the premise.  :)

It's great to see I'm not the only one who was bored
with this book, which is often listed as one of the
Great Works of Fantasy. It had its moments as I know I
enjoyed bits of it, but it wasn't memorable enough for
me to remember which bits, or to realise that that was
the book to which you were refering. There is a sequel
btw, "The moon's fireating daughter" which I was
unable to finish (although its not a bad title).
Dr Who fans may also recall an episode in which the
Doctor, or perhaps only his companions, encounters
some fictional characters, I think it may have been
with the Celestial Toymaker with either the first or
second doctor.

Jon