Yet Another Enforced Absence

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 23 11:12:37 EST 2003

Christian:

>>Also read HP & the Goblet of Fire, about which I will say nothing
>>(such self-restraint!) except that I *hated* the diet bit, at the
>>beginning.  Not only did all the old fat=nasty stuff come up again
>>in spades, but it was compounded with a heavy dose of "healthy
>>food"=deprivation, which I'm still close enough to nutrition
>>training to despise.  Never mind!
>
>come on! lay into it! it'll be such fun, and maybe speed up your recovery. =)

Lol!  Or maybe it'd just put everyone else into a decline. ;-)

>though don't you think a lot of that section is to illustrate how
>utterly clueless aunt .. uh .. whatever .. is? i mean, i don't think
>that JKR is suggesting that this is the sort of diet that's
>sensible. it's played for laughs at how utterly stupid the dursleys
>are. surely that's obvious and permissable? (yes, it is trite. the
>dursleys are very trite.)

Yeah, I think it is, but do we really need any more indication of how
stupid the Dursleys are?  And anyway,  (I had to check, just to be
sure), it's the school nurse who both tells the Dursleys that Dudley
needs to go on a diet AND sends them the diet.  I agree it's still
just played for laughs though - I just found the laugh-at-fat-people
bit was old before it started in book 1, and wasn't any more
impressed by the addition of the torture-by-diet part.

(Wasn't entirely just invalidish crankiness either - I loved
everything else I read! )

Hallie.