Lachrymose classics (was Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh thehorror!))

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 13:23:01 EST 2003

Lurking only at the moment as started a full time teaching job in Jan but
had to respond to this. I am a great weeper at books and poetry (including
Homeward Bounders) and the other day I started crying as I read a class the
section where George shoots Lennie in 'Of Mice and Men'. This was very
embarassing - more so because I knew I was gong to do it! They were quite
sweet about it really, despite their being 16. What astonished them most
though was that I fond the book sadder than the film (and that reaction is
probably sad in itself).