On cataloguing books

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 22:40:01 EST 2003

--- "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> > I can't imagine anyone not a librarian wanting to
> give
> > books Dewey numbers, but to librarians they are a
> way
> > of life, we just naturally shelve our books in
> dewey
> > order (well I do anyway)
>
> Nah, UDC roolz.
>
> (Universal Decimal Classification. I actually don't
> think it's better than
> Dewey because I've never used Dewey so I don't have
> a way of comparing. And
> my books are in mysteries-over-here,
> exept-the-ones-that-are somewhere-else
> classification)

I supose for librarians it depends what we are trained
in, and what we use professionaly. But when
non-librarians think of librarians they think Dewey.
I've sometimes convinced people that we have to swear
an oath on a copy of Dewey before we are admitted to
the profession. I've not yet reached to level of some
who remember car number plates as dewey numbers.

Jon