Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 21 20:46:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Charles Butler wrote:

> Paul wrote:

> > And I'm not sure that Sunday was *fat* - he was definitely *large*,
> > but the nature of his largeness I don't recall.
>
> Since I couldn't even get the character's name right, my chances
> of remembering this correctly are, er, slim, but I do retain an
> image (it's some 20 years ago I read the book) of Sunday, as I
> must now learn to call him, bouncing along with incredible agility
> and speed, and the effect being rendered surprising by the fact
> that he was also distinctly fat. But I may well be wrong again.
> Perhaps someone with a handy copy of the book can help out?

Oh, I've got a copy handy, I was just too lazy to go and get it.  :)

You're right - Sunday is described, when he is first described, as
being "quite incredibly fat" (as well as "abnormally tall" and having
large bones and so forth).

There's also a memorable passage in which "he fell from the balcony,
bouncing on the stones below like a great ball of india-rubber, and
went bounding off towards the corner of the Alhambra".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."