cons [OT]

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Feb 21 16:31:03 EST 2003

Dorian and Margaret:

> > Octocon (Ireland's SF con) is full of people dressing up, acting silly,
> > getting mildly (or not-so-mildly!) drunk, and generally having fun.  While
> > there I have...been on a panel (because they were short of panellists for
> > "Neglected Areas of SF" - I talked about kids' SF and DWJ!)...wandered about
> > for the entire weekend in vampire costume, thus failing to win a prize in
> > the masquerade because the judges thought I dressed like that all the
> > time!...had my photograph taken by a guy who wanted to prove to his mother
> > that he knew a tattooed lady...<snip>...and bunches of other fun things. :-)
> >

> Now THAT is what a con OUGHT to be. Clearly the Irish know how to do
> things right...why am I not surprised?

I know; I'm quite inclined to try and plan a trip off to Ireland for a
con.

Thanks to all of you who answered; it was very very helpful.  Based on
location and whatnot (as Lunacon, ie, clashed with my spring break) I
might be leading a group to I-con.  If anyone else is going to show up, do
let me know ;)

again, thank you all.

lizzie