On cataloguing books

Fri Feb 21 11:52:17 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:30:37 -0000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>Melissa wrote:
>> On another thread, my mother also said she thinks she has a
>> list of books I read as a child.  When I told her about that Childhood
>> Favorites discussion and how I couldn't remember reading, she made a very
>strange
>> noise like "I can remember it, you little snot, because I could never get
>> you to stop long enough to do your chores."  Very expressive noise, that.
>
>Yes, it's very unreasonable of parents not to accept "But I'm reeeeedingggg"
>as an excuse for not tidying up. I always thought so, anyway...

I think what really bothered her was that she would ask me to, say, do the
dishes, and I would set down my book and do the dishes and go straight back
to the book.  What she REALLY meant was "get up and stay where I can find
you, so I can give you several tasks in a row."  She should have SAID....

Besides, you'd think they'd WANT us to be educated.  It would have been
great if, just once, the response to "I'm in here reading" was "Oh, that's
wonderful! I'll get your brother to do the work for you.  We want to
encourage your vast intelligence."  :)

(In her defense, at the time she had seven kids, one an infant, and I was
the oldest and the most reliable.  I have no idea what kind of work my two
next younger brothers ever did.  Mowing the lawn, probably.  I think I've
had the wash dishes chore for twenty consecutive years by now, far too many
for a young'un like myself.)

Apropos of nothing, I can hear my kids listening to the "Buffy the Musical"
CD in the next room.  It's just a teeny bit surreal.

Melissa Proffitt