Dimanche gras (ou grand)

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 10:23:15 EST 2003

Is Sunday large or fat, in Chesterton's book "The Man who was Thursday"? I've had recourse to an e-text which confirms Paul's impression that sheer largeness is what's mostly emphasised, especially of his face. But this is the passage that stuck in my own mind:

  “I don’t know whether I believe it or not,” said Dr. Bull. “But it isn’t that that I mean. I can’t wish old Sunday’s balloon to burst because——”    8
  “Well,” said Syme impatiently, “because?”    9
  “Well, because he’s so jolly like a balloon himself,” said Dr. Bull desperately. “.... Just as if he was a great bouncing baby. How can I explain what my queer sympathy was? It didn’t prevent my fighting him like hell! Shall I make it clear if I say that I liked him because he was so fat?”   10
  “You will not,” said the Secretary.   11
  “I’ve got it now,” cried Bull, “it was because he was so fat and so light. Just like a balloon. We always think of fat people as heavy, but he could have danced against a sylph. I see now what I mean. Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity.

For what it's worth -

Charlie (13.5 stone and rising...)

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £13.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890