cons [OT]

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 17:30:54 EST 2003

--- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Jenwa Hsung wrote:
>
> > oh, what terrible timing.  you just missed two
> really
> > good Boston cons -- Arisia in January and Boskone
> in
> > February (this past weekend!).
>
> Applying my amazing powers of textual analysis, I
> deduce that Boskone
> has been around longer than Arisia. Am I right?

Yup!  Arisia was, way back before I had any idea about
fandom, an offshoot of Boskone that happened when the
organizers of Boskone decided they wanted a more
low-key convention with less partying and media and
such, and so those who wanted partying and media and
such organized their own convention and called it
Arisia.  There used to be (or so I've heard) bad blood
about this in the Boston fan community, but AFAICT,
things have calmed down a whole lot and are pretty
genial now.

--jenwa.