On cataloguing books

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at welho.com
Thu Feb 20 15:08:07 EST 2003

I've kept a catalogue of my books (nowadays a little over 1500 copies) for
several years now. For this, I've used AppleWorks' (formerly ClarisWorks)
database function. I like it, because I can customize my fields. The names
of the fields are, of course, in Finnish, but here are rough translations of
them: Author, Title, Publisher and Size, ISBN, Subject Matter, Placement and
Prize (this field also has all other information on the book, like if it's
signed etc.).

I think the biggest job was entering my then about 1400 books into the
database, but now that I've done that, it's fairly easy to add or remove
material from the database and to put all kinds of things into the "Subject
Matter" field. AppleWorks also allows me to make a text list of the data,
which function I've used to put a list of my books to my homepage space (my
ISP gives me plenty of space to put up a homepage, but I don't really have a
homepage there, only some files that I might occasionally have to check
while away from home).

Tarja