On cataloguing books

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 14:44:31 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:54:30 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble
> wrote:
>
> >the keyword facility can also be useful if
> >you want put in things of significance in the
> story,
> >for instance character names or which Toughguide
> (wow,
> >an ObDWJ) cliches are in the story (now that would
> be
> >fun - but tedious)
>
> I'm gripped with the insane desire to begin doing
> this...okay, it's passed.
> Though at some point I will be finished with raw
> data entry and will have to
> move on to tweaking, at which point this thing will
> start to take on a life
> of its own.  (Wouldn't it be great to search on
> "Stew" and have it pull up a
> list of books?  Mmmm, stew....)

Don't go there Melissa, wait until all fantasy books
are available as e-texts and then do a word search
through each for "stew". "nunnery", "true heir" or
whatever. Its too immense a task, even for one with
your immense reading rate.

> Jacob's original design for me had a separate field
> for character names that
> I really liked.  Fortunately there seems to be no
> end to the number of
> keywords I can enter, mwahahahaha.
>
> This upgrade I just downloaded allows you to
> directly enter ISBNs and have
> it query any number of sources in countries all over
> the world.  It *says*
> you can enter LCCNs but I haven't figured out how to
> teach it the
> difference...it just thinks the LCCN is a defective
> ISBN.  It also doesn't
> get a whole lot of information, and you have to
> check to make sure it's
> correct, but it's saving some time already.

Watch ISBNs, if your field for this is set up to
recognise valid ISBNs you may have trouble next year
as there are reports they'll be changing to 13 digits.

> And thanks for the assistance on categorization.
> Consistency may be the
> hobgoblin of little minds, but it sure saves on
> search time.

As an experiment I've started applying my categories
to my own collection to see how it works, just copied
my list of fantasy into a spread sheet and put the
categorties as the other axis. I was afraid that I may
end up with a lot of unclassifiable books, but so
that's not the case - but I've only done authors
beginning with A - about 75 books.

Jon