On cataloguing books (was Re: Obscure Childhood favorites)

Thu Feb 20 12:03:43 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:54:30 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>the keyword facility can also be useful if
>you want put in things of significance in the story,
>for instance character names or which Toughguide (wow,
>an ObDWJ) cliches are in the story (now that would be
>fun - but tedious)

I'm gripped with the insane desire to begin doing this...okay, it's passed.
Though at some point I will be finished with raw data entry and will have to
move on to tweaking, at which point this thing will start to take on a life
of its own.  (Wouldn't it be great to search on "Stew" and have it pull up a
list of books?  Mmmm, stew....)

Jacob's original design for me had a separate field for character names that
I really liked.  Fortunately there seems to be no end to the number of
keywords I can enter, mwahahahaha.

This upgrade I just downloaded allows you to directly enter ISBNs and have
it query any number of sources in countries all over the world.  It *says*
you can enter LCCNs but I haven't figured out how to teach it the
difference...it just thinks the LCCN is a defective ISBN.  It also doesn't
get a whole lot of information, and you have to check to make sure it's
correct, but it's saving some time already.

And thanks for the assistance on categorization.  Consistency may be the
hobgoblin of little minds, but it sure saves on search time.

Melissa Proffitt