Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 04:12:23 EST 2003

Paul wrote:
> That's Sunday you're thinking of. Thursday (the protagonist) was of
> normal dimensions.

You're right. Sorry.

> And I'm not sure that Sunday was *fat* - he was definitely *large*,
> but the nature of his largeness I don't recall.

Since I couldn't even get the character's name right, my chances of
remembering this correctly are, er, slim, but I do retain an image (it's
some 20 years ago I read the book) of Sunday, as I must now learn to call
him, bouncing along with incredible agility and speed, and the effect being
rendered surprising by the fact that he was also distinctly fat. But I may
well be wrong again. Perhaps someone with a handy copy of the book can help
out?

By the way, until a few years ago, at any rate, it was common for Whitehall
types and politicos to refer to people whom they regarded as reliable,
authoritative and competent as having 'bottom'. The metaphor is perhaps
ultimately a naval one - a ship that's unlikely to capsize, as it were - but
I only ever heard to applied to people who were a) men and b) fat.

Charlie