Astrid Lindgren and Burnett

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Mon Feb 17 15:58:07 EST 2003

One of my favorite books by her is "Mio, My Son".  Very wish-fulfillment,
with the unloved little boy swooped away from his cold foster-parents to be
returned to his father the king...

What about Burnett's "Lost Prince", a marvel of tacky cliches.  The True
Prince (OMT) runs off from his country because of the Evil Acts of his
father, and then his descendents spend 500 years wandering around being Noble
(and well-educated and brought up) while maintaining an underground network
of Loyal Supporters.  Then the time comes for the uprising, and the True Heir
travels through Europe with his Faithful Friend, approaching total strangers
and saying 'The Lamp is Lighted!"  (gives me goosebumps to think of, even
now....a real Guilty Pleasure book.)  [No, no; she doesn't use capitals all
over--she's too competent a writer--you can hear it in the narrative.]
     Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com