Marlow books (was Childhood favourites)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Feb 17 13:24:21 EST 2003

>You see, it used to be that a publisher kept
>the copyright until the book went "out of print" at which time the copyright
>would revert back to the author.  Only now, with these printers that can
>handle one-offs relatively economically, a book never really goes out of
>print.

Actually, Jacob, it doesn't make that much difference. It was already
incredibly difficult to make a publisher agree that your book was out of
print; I've been trying for years to regain rights to a paperback
historical novel that my agent thought she could resell in today's
market. Their standard seems to be, "As long as I can claim that I think
there might be a copy somewhere in a warehouse in New Jersey that I
refuse to visit, it's in print."

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com