Marlow books (was Childhood favourites)

Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 17 09:59:56 EST 2003

Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:14:16 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:
>
> >> My sister (who has had several books published, mostly under her
> >> maiden name) offered "Maker" to Antonia Forest's own publisher, but it
> >> was rejected because of "insufficient projected sales".
> >

> >You know, every five or ten years the publishing industry makes a big
> >noise about how new computer technology is going to let them print books
> >on demand and then you'll be able to buy a copy of anything anybody has
> >ever put on disk.  Wouldn't it be nice if they actually DID it one of
> >these days?
>
> Wait for the printers.  We've been watching the technology for a few years
> and it shouldn't be long before it's economically feasible.  Then we just
> have to work on permissions, royalties, etc....
>
> Get my husband talking about it.  It's sort of a dream of ours to run this
> kind of bookshop.

There are folks who do something sort of like this now, in the self-
publishing biz.  You send them your book [it's cheaper if it's a computer
document than if they have to type it], they set it up on the computer,
they print a copy or two, get you and ISBN number and stuff, and then
you
do whatever you want about selling and promoting it [like getting it on
Amazon or whatever].  Every time you need copies, you can get them
cheaply,
so you're not stuck with a minimum run of 5,000 or something.

Or, at any rate, that's how I understand their ad.
www.ipublisher.com/publishyourbook

[This is not an endorsement.  But I have a friend who's not having luck
 with getting a publisher, and my sister mentioned this.  So I'm going to
 be passing it along to my friend.]