books changing when you aren't looking

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Feb 14 16:50:47 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/14/2003 1:20:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Yes I hate too when books change while you are not
> looking, I've wasted several days on accasions looking
> through books for passages that I'm sure were there
> last time I read it.
>
> Jon

Jane Austen just did that to me. She put a description into _Emma_ that used
to be in _Northanger Abbey_. I was quite ticked at her. :-)

What I hate is when that REALLY happens, due to a new edition that mucks with
the original. My kids were given a bastardized version of Jemima Puddleduck
in which the puppies do not eat Jemima's eggs, instead they help her carry
them home.

Helen Schinske