On cataloguing books (was Re: Obscure Childhood favorites)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 14:54:30 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
  I wouldn't
> call _Sabriel_ et al. a horror story, even though
> the Dead are a major part
> of it...horror, to me, usually means that the
> protagonists are helpless
> against the evil they're fighting.

Yes I wouldn't classify Sabriel as Horror either
although it would fit into Zombie stories there, if
you have the capacity for as many categories as you
want (and I know you don't) I would give it both
Zombie and YA, but its really something else, I supose
we're up to Epic on length grounds, but thats not it
either.

Anyway,
> I'm questioning the
> usefulness of the YA category when it comes to
> fantasy.  Most of those are
> books I wouldn't hesitate to give to an adult, as
> opposed to other YA
> subgenres which might be too lightweight.  On the
> other hand, YA fiction
> does refer to a specific type of writing...my head
> hurts now.

In any system of cataloging, the important thing is to
look at what the user needs, and then at what is
technically possible. If any of my categories are of
no use to you don't use them, perhaps instead some
could be keywords (zombie or undead for sabriel for
instance) the keyword facility can also be useful if
you want put in things of significance in the story,
for instance character names or which Toughguide (wow,
an ObDWJ) cliches are in the story (now that would be
fun - but tedious)

Jon