On cataloguing books (was Re: Obscure Childhood favorites)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 06:26:32 EST 2003

Melissa wrote:
>  But, as Jon pointed out, there are rare occasions
> when it's useful to identify YA fantasy as such.
> Do any of you have thoughts on this subject?  Or, for
> a more specific example, are there any of DWJ's books that
> would be better identified primarily as YA rather than as fantasy?

I guess if an author has written YA books, some fantasy and some not,
classifying them all as YA would make it easier to pull them all out
together. I think my example would be Margaret Mahy rather than DWJ, as her
YA books feel similar to each other to me although some are fantasy and some
not. (I read Alchemy the other day, and enjoyed it, but not as much as her
earlier ones. I can't tell if it's the book or me- if I'd have loved it if
it had come out when I was a teenager. I think the main fault was that it
felt rushed, and the victory seemed too easy, but I'm not sure if that's
because I'm used to longer books now!)
With DWJ, I might put her books as Childrens (fantasy), YA (fantasy) and
Fantasy, but if she hadn't written children's books I might well say Fantasy
and Fantasy (YA)- I guess if they're divided by age once you may as well do
it again, sort of thing.
Jennifer