Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 06:18:49 EST 2003

Jackie wrote:
> I would like to make an argument for including picture books, simply
> because good ones, like good longer novels or chapter books, are
> incredibly rich and complex and contribute every bit as much
> to becoming
> a reader as do longer books.  Of course there are bad ones as
> well, just
> as there are bad novels.  But that doesn't mean that we should dismiss
> them all out of hand.

I certainly don't dismiss them- I love getting children picture books. It's
just that I don't remember which were my favourite picture books when I was
two but I do remember what I was reading when I was nine.
(The Iliad. Unabridged Penguin translation. I liked it a lot better then
than I do now, too. It's so "and then he killed him, and then *he* killed
*him*, and then *he* got in a snit and didn't want to kill anyone, so *he*
went out to kill him instead..." I wouldn't mind if it wasn't held up by
classicists as containing everything that's great about humanity. Bollocks.
It's about nasty armed bullies murdering people. With good descriptive
bits.)
Jennifer