Picture books [Was Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh the horror!)]

Rosie Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 05:58:00 EST 2003

 --- jstallcup at juno.com wrote: > Hmmm...

> I would like to make an argument for including picture books, simply
> because good ones, like good longer novels or chapter books, are
> incredibly rich and complex and contribute every bit as much to
> becoming
> a reader as do longer books.  Of course there are bad ones as well,
> just
> as there are bad novels.  But that doesn't mean that we should
> them all out of hand.

I have just discovered Angela Barrett's books - anyone else know them?
She was one of the featured illustrators in the British Library's
"Magic Pencil" exhibition, and having seen the illustrations for her
"Snow-White" (with Josephine Poole), I had to buy all they had. My
favourite is "Beware Beware" (with Susan Hill), about a small girl
going into the woods in the evening; the pictures of the woods exactly
capture what is frightening about being there on your own when it's
half-dark.

Rosie