more fantasy categories

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Feb 13 04:41:03 EST 2003

> Yes, I see what you mean, I was talking 20th (and 21st
> now too I guess), so Romance = Love stories and
> Arthurian starts with TH White and moves on from
> there.
> If I put in Malory and earlier that would have to be a
> new category - Prefantasy perhaps.

What about those first-half-of-the-20thC writers we might call the Arthurian
occultists - Arthur Machen to Charles Williams, say? You might put Mary
Butts in here (Armed with Madness particularly), and conceivably the TS
Eliot of the Waste Land. Though for the latter two we should also make a new
sub-sub-category - Arthurian anthropological, to indicate influence from
Frazer, Weston, Harrison et al.

A lot of this is based around the Grail of course - I suppose that does
count as Arthurian, even if they're working from its presumed pre-Arthurian
origins? Perhaps not.

Bah - this is getting complicated. Ever hear of the Dewey decimal system,
Melissa?

Charlie