Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Feb 13 04:04:45 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 23:55, deborah wrote:

> And I have to add The Rainbow Fish to the "completely vile message
> packaged in sugar" category.  It leaves Love You Forver way back at
> the starting gate.

I don't think I've read Love You Forever (children's books pick up the
strangest titles in translation, but I'd have noticed the content) but
I'm firmly in that camp on The Rainbow Fish. For me, the message is
"get rid of everything that makes you special and everybody will love
you". The kids, however, parsed it as "share what you've got plenty of
and everybody will be happy", which is roughly what they learn from
*us*, I suppose.

They haven't looked at the book for years (though the smaller 7-year-old
is still wearing the T-shirt the eldest got for her fourth birthday) so
I don't know what message they'd read in it now.

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.          http://www.valdyas.org/irina
http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 08-Feb-2003