more fantasy categories

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 01:52:17 EST 2003

--- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:
> Hi, Jon;
>
> I categorise fantasy rather differently - there's
> Domestic

Oh I know this one - that's when someone else does the
cooking AND the dishes :)

and then various
> levels.
>
> Level 1 is 1 fantastic element intruding on one
> person in real life.
> example; Deb has a cat that talks to her.
> Level 2 is a fantastic element shared by others -
> ex. a dragon moves into
> the Smith garden and nobody else notices. Joan
> Aiken's Armitage stories are
> a bit like this.
>
> Level 3 is a more general fantastic element. A
> unicorn or someone from
> another world moves in to a town, or else someone
> has magic power than
> affects others.
>
> Level 4 often takes a human into a fantasy world.
>
> Level 5 takes place in a fantasy world, (but with a
> recognisable human
> society) with a human fantasy character (princess,
> peasant, or ordinary
> schoolchild etc as lead character.) Dave Luckett's
> latest trilogy is like
> that.
>
> Level 6 may have a human lead character, but fantasy
> creatures and magic
> will be accepted and general.

I like these too, that could even be used in
conjuction with my categories to make some really
complicated system ( a level 6 swords and sorcery
below the Christian limit and so on)

> You also get oddities like Tall Tale, or real life
> just a bit skewed.

These two could also be added to my list

Jon