On cataloguing books (was Re: Obscure Childhood favorites)

Thu Feb 13 01:03:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:18:34 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>What the heck, I don't really need to waste time on
>mundane matters like working or sleeping, lets crank
>up the volume a bit more.

I printed out your list.  Surprisingly, every one of the categories I use is
one you named.  :)  However, I don't always have a consistent method for
classifying things, and your list was even more helpful in that respect.

Detective fantasy: there's a pair of books by Joel Rosenberg called _D'Shai_
and _Hour of the Octopus_.

I don't use Gothic either...usually I class those as dark fantasy, unless
there are large quantities of blood.  :)

Here's another question (not just for Jon):  It's easy for me to identify
children's or juvenile fantasies.  With young adult fantasies, it's a bit
more difficult, and I know I haven't been consistent.  I would prefer to
simply list these as Fantasy with a subcategory rather than as YA sub
Fantasy.  But, as Jon pointed out, there are rare occasions when it's useful
to identify YA fantasy as such.  Do any of you have thoughts on this
subject?  Or, for a more specific example, are there any of DWJ's books that
would be better identified primarily as YA rather than as fantasy?

This list has been great with input on so many things, and I feel rather
selfish using you all as my sounding board...though, on the other hand,
that's one of the things we're all here for, right?  (The correct answer is
to Nod and Smile.)

Melissa Proffitt