On cataloguing books (was Re: Obscure Childhood favorites)

Thu Feb 13 00:55:25 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:11:23 +0200 (EET), Satu S Hlinovsky wrote:

>> That's for darn sure.  I've done less than 600 and I'm starting to think
>> that I woefully underestimated how many books are in this house.
>
>I wonder if that number is a critical point? I've had bit over 600 books
>catalogued - with all necesssary info for insurance purposes - but that
>number only covers the books in our living room (which holds mostly
>scifi & fantasy), and I have no idea, if the books in other rooms will
>ever find their way into the catalogue. It's such an arduous task...

I know.  I know.  I thought I was doing really well and then, well, I
realized that there was a shelf in my office and one in the guest room and a
bunch of books in all the kids' rooms, not to mention the ones just lying
around...and then we keep buying more.  Foolish, foolish me.

Even bigger than the being overwhelmed is the fact that in cataloguing the
books, I am sucked back into them as though reading them all over again.
The emotional drain is very surprising.  We're not even talking about
majorly emotional books either--though I suppose Vlad and Cawti's marriage
disintegrating was fairly awful.  The illusion that I am tough and mean has
also disintegrated.  :)

Melissa Proffitt