Picture books (was Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh the horror!))

Wed Feb 12 23:18:37 EST 2003

Some of my favorite books are picture books, but most of them were ones I
read as an adult with children rather than favorites from childhood.  Of
those, my best-loved ones are:

Poinsettia and Her Family by Felicia Bond, who is also one of my favorite
illustrators
Tell Me a Trudy by Lore Segal--beautifully readable and just the teensiest
bit wacky
The Sweet Pickles series: 26 books each featuring an animal who has a
defining trait which gets him/her into trouble.  The quality is uneven, but
I still love _Fixed by Camel_ and _Me Too Iguana_.  I was lucky enough to
find most of them in a bookstore that was going out of business, so I lack
only 4 of them.
the Strega Nona books by Tomie de Paola, as well as _Helga's Dowry_, which
is still fantastic.
And Edward Gorey is still at the top of my list as far as illustrators go.
I used to pick up books just because they had his art on them.

Recently I found an edition of _How the Camel Got His Hump_ illustrated by
Quentin Blake, and it's darling.  I also like Rick Walton's books; he's a
local (Utah) author and while I don't really get into his younger stuff,
he's extremely prolific and usually produces at least one book a year that I
love.  My favorites by him are _Once there was a Bull...Frog_ and _Bullfrog
Pops!_; they're extended plays on words and very entertaining.

Melissa Proffitt