more fantasy categories

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Feb 12 19:58:23 EST 2003

Hi, Jon;

I categorise fantasy rather differently - there's Domestic and then various
levels.

Level 1 is 1 fantastic element intruding on one person in real life.
example; Deb has a cat that talks to her.
Level 2 is a fantastic element shared by others - ex. a dragon moves into
the Smith garden and nobody else notices. Joan Aiken's Armitage stories are
a bit like this.

Level 3 is a more general fantastic element. A unicorn or someone from
another world moves in to a town, or else someone has magic power than
affects others.

Level 4 often takes a human into a fantasy world.

Level 5 takes place in a fantasy world, (but with a recognisable human
society) with a human fantasy character (princess, peasant, or ordinary
schoolchild etc as lead character.) Dave Luckett's latest trilogy is like
that.

Level 6 may have a human lead character, but fantasy creatures and magic
will be accepted and general.

You also get oddities like Tall Tale, or real life just a bit skewed.

Sallyo.