Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 12 19:10:03 EST 2003

>Yeah, on second thought, she agreed that she wouldn't have particularly
>enjoyed reading it in class.  I don't think it could have ruined it for
>her, as it became a firm favourite a few years ago, but it might have been
>a pain all the same.  It's funny, because I've read  glowing testimonials
>from teachers of the "I've been using this book for English classes for 25
>years, and every class has loved it" variety.  Maybe it depends on the
>teacher's loving it to start with.

For me it had a lot to do with the fact that we spent so long on each text
in high school. Most of the books we studied didn't have enough in them to
merit all that painstaking close reading, so I got really bored when we had
to read and dissect each chapter in detail to make sure everyone had
understood every sentence.

Robyn