Lachrymose classics (was Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh the horror!))

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Wed Feb 12 18:13:54 EST 2003

When this issue (tearing up while reading) has come up on other lists,
there have been people who are *adamantly* in favor of just letting it
happen.  It's a very powerful "read-aloud" moment, no matter what age the
audience.  But I think that it has to be done right, it has to be genuine
and the reader has to be ok with it.  I'm with you--I'm not ok with
crying in front of my students, so I tend to avoid such books...

Jackie