Lachrymose classics (was Re: Childhood favourites (Was Oh the horror!))

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 17:51:21 EST 2003

> But I'm intrigued by Blyton coming up for you.  Remind me where you
> teach?  I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of my students have
> never even heard of Blyton.

In Bristol, UK. For my part I've got to admit I'd never heard of Love you
Forever until this evening (but then I haven't read much Blyton either). But
I just browsed the customer reviews on Amazon, and I can see it makes quite
an impression, one way or the other. So many tears!

I don't think I could teach it, however manipulative/perverse, because I'm
just a sucker for books that make you cry, and it's not something I like to
do in class. I had to give up teaching Ben Jonson's 'On my first son'
because I couldn't get through it without husking - and I've got a feeling
that, whatever the difference in literary quality, this would be the same.

Anyone else have this problem?

Charlie