gasp. gasp. catching. up.

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Feb 12 17:50:45 EST 2003

Man!  This weekend I had to switch to the digest and mass-delete all the
email coming into my inbox.  Don't you people have *lives*?  ;)  But it
seems to be dying downs, so a few interjections:

- I loved both Ronia the Robber's Daughter and Charmed Life as a child.
  I also loved some utter tripe, ranging from a wretched picture book
  called "The Sweet Touch" as a tadpole, to Anne McCaffery and Piers
  Anthony when I became an adolescent frog.  I adored A Little Princess,
  devoured everything by Noel Streatfield that could be purchased in
  America, read everything I could find which was illustrated by Trina
  Schart Hyman, and probably had many similarly silly reading habits
  (for a long time, I would only read editions of John Bellairs which
  had cover art by Edward Gorey.  Why?  Who knows?).  Since I read
  pretty much everything in the Swampscott public library children's
  room fairly indiscriminately, it's hard to tell what I actually read.
  Also, I have several English editions of assorted stories inherited
  from my expatriate mother, and heaps of old ladybird books, with the
  confusing -- remember, I'm American, and relatively young -- prices of
  "2s6d", or some such.

- I liked Nicholas Stewart Gray, and eventually found a copy of
  Grimbold' s Other World used on the Internet.  I also loved the
  unbelievably obscure children's writer Sally Watson, and eventually
  found a copy of her book Jade on the Internet.  The only other book
  I've ever bought on the net is the unabridged two-volume 1976 edition
  of the OED.  But if anybody knows of copies of Skiver's Guide or
  Changeover (dwj's, not mahy's, which I also loved as a child, but have
  (autographed, and that's another dwj story, because I met Margaret
  Mahy at a convention where dwj was supposed to be speaking, and she
  wasn't because of one of her perennial health problems, and marker
  Mahy and I commiserated, because we'd both been looking forward to
  seeing her (and this is about to look like a LISP program, and your
  geek level is about to be recognized by whether or not you get that
  joke))), I would also by those over the Internet.

- I don't like Dickens.  And I liked The Great Gatsby.  So there.
  Thppt.

- I'm with Helen on Huck Finn being misread as a racist book and not a
  parody of stupid racist attitudes.

- On both The Giving Tree and Love you Forever: thppt!  Paperbag
  Princess is good, though.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Hither then, swiftly, for I'm cold, I'm cold.
		-- _The Folk of the Air_