arty games

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Feb 12 17:17:16 EST 2003

In a message dated 2/12/2003 12:10:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, Otter Perry
writes:

> Well, shoot.  It can't be as bad as the racism in _Huckleberry Finn_,
> another work touted as the GAN.  I have to admit I can't remember Gatsby --
> it's been forty years or so since I read it.  It's also been that long
> since I read Huck Finn, and I remember _that_ with a _lot_ of distaste.

My feeling about _Huckleberry Finn_ is that it is ABOUT racism, not imbued
with racism. For instance, there isn't anything *stupid* about Jim at all,
he's simply illiterate and uneducated. I don't think most of us realize how
limiting it would be to have absolutely no experience outside day-to-day life
as a slave. Certainly Twain makes fun of him, but he rips into everyone else,
too (notably Tom Sawyer, who comes off as an utter idiot in this book).

Now, if you think Twain actually *meant no censure* in scenes such as the
famous "Goodness! Was anybody hurt?" -- "No'm. Killed a nigger." -- "Well,
that's lucky, because sometimes people do get hurt" scene, then I can see
that you would think it racist. But I don't read it that way at all.

Helen Schinske